The Mosaic “The fight and goals of the Communist party” from the Former Communist party building
Artists: Yoan Leviev and architect Vladimir Rangelov
Dimensions: 12.42 х 2.60 m and 3.03 х 2.60 m
“Moments of the resistance and future development of socialism”
This mosaic flanks the entrance to the administrative section of the former Communist Party building and consists of two panels. The larger panel on the left side of the entrance depicts a horizontal scene with two groups of figures set against a golden background. The technique can be described as a kind of opus tessellatum. The figures stand out in relief from the background. The tesserae are made from natural stone in five colors: red (sandstone), beige (sandstone), dark ochre (limestone “Sredinka” from Sredina village in Kardzhali district), and white (fine-grained marble). The five-pointed red star in the center of the larger panel is composed of red smalt. The background consists of ceramic tile tesserae both plated with bronze (colloidal gold in different hues of copper or old gold) and coated with blue, pink, and gold glazes. The figural scene stands out in a 5 cm relief from this background and so has a border that distinguishes it from the rest of the mosaic. The mosaic’s background is generally flat but has considerable irregularities. Moreover, the entire surface of the mosaic has visible giornatas (joints made when the different parts of the mosaic were put together). The mosaic was bound with a cement solution that can be seen in some of these joints and in weathered patches of the mosaic. Most of the tesserae are hand-made and so have irregular shapes; their sides vary from 2 to 8 cm long, and some tesserae are even larger.
According to witnesses, the mosaic was laid in situ by Georgi Dimov and apprentices who were commissioned for the task.
The Former Communist party building, Plovdiv.
Link to Google Maps:
Yoan Leviev (1934-1994)
Yoan Leviev was born in 1934 in Plovdiv, Bulgaria to the family of Isaac S. Leviev and Nadejda Panaiotova-Levieva. He graduated in 1958 from the “Decorative-monumental arts” program in the National Academy of Art in Sofia (then called the “High institute for fine arts “Nikolai Pavlovich”). His graduation work under the supervision of prof. Georgi Bogdanov was titled “The Boyana master.” He was a member of the “Plovdiv group” of artists since 1959 and a member of the Union of Bulgarian Artists (UBA) since 1961. He was also an active participant in exhibitions in Bulgaria and abroad. He visited Mexico in 1977 as the chosen representative of an exhibition presenting Bulgarian art, and the visit left a mark on his artistic work. The three most prominent Mexican muralists of the time – Diego Rivera, José Clemente Orozco, and David Siqueiros – were among his aesthetic inspirations. His personal acquaintance with artists like Jorge González Camarena, Rufino Tamayo and José Chávez Morado further increased his interest in monumental art forms. The artist died in 1994 in his home in Plovdiv. His works span from paintings, graphics, and illustrations to monumental art. He used various techniques such as fresco and secco wall painting, sgraffito, and mosaic.
His most famous monumental works are:
● the sgraffito panels on the façade of the funeral house in Plovdiv (1959);
● the wall painting in the boardroom of the “Maritsa” hotel (Plovdiv, 1969);
● the wall painting “Excerpt from the economic history of Plovdiv” (Plovdiv, 1966);
● the wall painting “Man and Earth” in the “Agricultural University – Plovdiv” (back then the High Institute of Agriculture “Vassil Kolarov”, 1967);
● the smalt and stone mosaic “Fights and ideals of the communist party” (“Moments from the resistance and the future development of socialism”) on the façade of the former communist party building (Plovdiv, 1969);
● the stone mosaic panel (2.30 x 6.30 m) “Yuri Gagarin” from the roundabout at the Plovdiv International Fair (Plovdiv, 1970-1971);
● the wall painting “Vazov and his works” at the National Library (Plovdiv, 1974);
● the smalt and stone mosaic in the Youth center in Burgas, in collaboration with Hristo Stefanov and Georgi Bozhilov – Slona (Burgas, 1975);
● the smalt and stone mosaic in the Boyana residence (Sofia, 1976);
● the casein and acrylic wall painting in the Grand Hotel Plovdiv (Plovdiv, 1978);
● the wall painting “Culture and the Working classes” in the building of the “Labor-union of culture” (Plovdiv, 1977);
● the wall painting “Man and Peace” in hall №8 in the National Palace of Culture, in collaboration with architect Alexander Barov; casein and acrylic (Sofia, 1981);
● the smalt and gold mosaic (600 sq. m.) “The fights and victory of the communist party” in the assembly hall at the Memorial House of the Bulgarian Communist Party at Buzludzha, in collaboration with architect Hristo Stefanov (Buzludzha, 1981);
● the smalt mosaic in the conference hall at the Ministry of Interior (Sofia, 1983);
● the wall painting in the administrative building of the Plovdiv International Fair (Plovdiv, 1987).
Yoan Leviev received the following honorary titles and awards: induction into the Order “Saint Cyril and Methodius” – first-class (1970); the title Honored Artist (1975); the award for decorative monumental arts “Ilia Petrov” (1983); induction into the Order of the People’s Republic of Bulgaria – second-class (1984); the “1300 years Bulgaria” – honorary insignia and medal (1984); the honorary insignia of the city of Plovdiv – first-class (1984); the painting award “Vladimir Dimitrov – Maistora” from the UBA (1984); and the title Honorary Citizen of Plovdiv (1995).